News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

SE-76 with BGM-100 bench grinder set???

Started by bradleyhall, August 30, 2012, 03:20:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bradleyhall

Is it possible to use SE-76 (square edge jig) with a regular bench grinder with the BGM-100 grinder set? 

bradleyhall

For the most part, I am interested in establishing hollow grind for chisels and plane irons on bench grinder using BGM-100, and going directly to shapton ceramic stones, and skipping using my Tormek 2000 as it is too slow for grinding a new angle on chisels and plane irons. 

Ken S

Bradley,

Welcome to the forum.

I am curious as to what "too slow" is. As a field trial, I recently reground a chisel bevel to thirty degrees.  This chisel gets all the jobs I try to avoid with the high price tools.  I may live in a slower world.  However, regrinding the bevel did not seem to take much time.  I realized later that all I really needed to do was grind a steeper micro bevel. The steeper cutting angle held up better under rough service.

The SE-76 should work with the BGM-100 and a dry grinder.  My question is why would you want to use it that way? Yes, the dry grinder would grind more quickly.  However, the quickness comes with the risk of overheating the tool.  If you leave enough (thickness) flat area on the blade to lessen the overheating risk, you also add a lot more time with your stones.  If you have to remove a lot of steel, for example, from a badly pitted blade, grinding away the bevel at a right angle and then grinding away the pitted area, then using the dry grinder would definitely be faster.  Hopefully this would be a very rare occasion and only done once with a blade.

Dressing your wheel with the diamond dresser right before using it will give you the Tormek's most aggressive cutting.  if you are doing a lot of grinding, you should be able to hear and feel the difference as the wheel needs attention.

I would suggest three things to increase your sharpening speed:

1) Have your tools sharp before starting a project and hone/polish often.

2) Use micro bevels.

3) Use multiple tools or blades.  This might seem impractical, however, most shops have an extra jack plane and/or a few odd chisels laying around.  If you are moving along flattening a board and don't want to stop to refresh the jack plane blade, just grab the second plane.

By all means, keep asking questions and posting.

Ken

The Lie-Nielsen website has some well done you tubes on sharpening, including changing the bevel. 

Mike Fairleigh

I'm not trying to sway the original poster, but I'll agree with Ken on the speed.  If you're trying to re-form bevels on the Tormek with whatever "normal" surface the wheel was last used with, it will indeed seem to take forever.  If you make a pass over the wheel with the truing tool first, re-shaping a bevel will literally take about 1 minute, including on A2 steel.
Mike

"If I had 8 hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend 7 sharpening my axe."  --Abraham Lincoln

Ken S

In a post quite a while back, Ionut mentioned the Tormek wheel actually has three degrees of coarseness; coarse graded; fine graded; and (the most coarse) right after the diamond dresser has been used.  ionut is quite knowledgeable and innovative.

Ken

ionelclinci

A Tormek Blackstone wouldn`t be more agressive and faster,mainly for HSS ? Never used one , just curious.

Ionel