News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

This really rustles my jimmies, also a few questions

Started by Jimmy Russells, August 01, 2012, 06:58:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimmy Russells

I used to have an account here but it seems to be gone.  :'(

Anyhoo I just got a Tormek T7 and would post the unboxing pics but i guess everyone here has there own so a few pics will do.

I got a few questions what sewing machine oil should I use? Can anyone recommend a Swedish/European or USA made one? Also would Ballistol work?

Should I use tap water for the wheel or purified/bottled water?

Mike Fairleigh

Congratulations!  Just use baby oil.  The more important thing is, only use a very small amount; you can always add more when you need to.  Quite a few people, myself included, went way overboard with the oil and have had to go to some work to dry the wheel back out.

I use distilled water, but only because my shop doesn't have running water and it's just easier.

If you didn't get the turntable accessory, consider that for your first add-on.  It's worthwhile.
Mike

"If I had 8 hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend 7 sharpening my axe."  --Abraham Lincoln

Jimmy Russells

I never thought about using to much oil... Thanks for the tip. Also I missed out on getting a free turntable when I bought it as the offer was for last month. I'll look into getting it after I get a few jigs.

Ken S

Welcome, Jimmy.  I use tap water.  It's easy to forget that the root of the Tormek is rubbing metal against rock.  I realize you just spent more than an iPad would cost, but it's still metal and rock.  That's no put down; your Tormek will be working (better than now because of your increased experience) when iPads are a note in the history books.

I think it's more important to keep the water away when not using the machine.  Most of the stories of damaged machines I have read on the forum have come from not bothering to dump and clean the water trough.  No need to go overboard with this.  Just start the day with clean water and end with a clean, dry trough and wheel.

I do like to keep my machine covered to keep the shop dust off.  I have used the Tormek covers and old towels.  Both work very well. 

Keep us posted.

Ken

Ken S

ps

I would suggest sharpening a few basic tools, (the proverbial 3/4" chisel or similar) before looking for more jigs.  There is no projected shortage of jigs, including the revolving base.  You can make more informed choices with some sharpening experience under your belt.

Enjoy your new Tormek.

Ken

Jimmy Russells

Yeah the machine was really expensive(I got mine at a 10% discount due to an error in a sales flyer but it was still over $600 USD...) That said the Swedish origin and outstanding quality makes it worth every penny.

Well I mainly got this for knives so I know I need the 2 jigs for those soon. Also I'm going over to a boxmakers shop soon to do chisels so I'll be getting so experience.  :D

Ken S

Jimmy, when you go to work on the chisels, be sure to take a sharpie marker and a small square with you.  Before going, if you have not watched these, I would recommend studying them.

http://www.sharptoolsusa.com/demo.php

Spend the most time getting the first chisel right and the rest will follow.  Remember not all chisels are ground parallel, so "square" may be "close".

Good luck and keep us posted.

Ken