News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Setting knife jig

Started by Black Mamba, March 19, 2012, 10:22:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Black Mamba

I have just purchased the Tormek T-7 model. I also bought the SVM-45 knife jig. The jig I bought is significantly different than the one shown in the DVD that accompanies the T-7.....mainly in that it lacks any integral grinding angle indicators along the shaft of the jig itself. I understand that moving the " stop " on the jig will affect the grinding angle, but where would I set the ' stop "? The manual mentions that by adjusting the Universal Mounting Bar will adjust the grinding angle but that also raises the question of where the  "stop " should be positioned. Got any suggestions.   

Jeff Farris

As the manual also suggests, use the AngleMaster to set the angle. Large adjustments are made with the height of the Universal Support, and fine adjustment is made with the stop.
Jeff Farris

Black Mamba

Thanks for the reply, Jeff.

When faced with doing a large number of knives in a short period of time, having to use the AngleMaster each time would be a major pain. Also, it seems that smaller knife blades, with little blade area to accommodate an edge, present a challenge in reading the right angle to use....as opposed to a chisel or such that is quite easy to read. I would think that the prior design to the knife jig with it's integral markings is a much faster and equally effective way to get to the starting point....then making the small adjustments needed. Do you find the newer design as effective and quick in your use?

Jeff Farris

The calibrations have no affect. Every blade has a different dimension from spine to edge, therefore, there's no getting away with not using the AngleMaster. It gets easier with practice.
Jeff Farris

Black Mamba

I'm sure you're right. Thanks for taking the time to address my issues.

Tom