News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Suggestions for UTS Lubricant?

Started by Kevin, June 10, 2004, 01:13:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin

The SVX-150 Scissor Jig and the SVH-60 Straight Edge Jig are mounted on the UTS with plastic bushings.

As the jigs are moved back and forth, they start to stick to the UTS.  This makes it difficult to move the jigs back and forth with delicate precision.

Is there a good lubricant that can be applied to the UTS to make sure that those two jigs do not "stick and slip" when moving back and forth?

The problem seems to be more common with the micro-adjusting UTS.

RussH

I put a small amount of Tri-Flow on from time to time and smear it around with my finger.  Have had no problem with any of the jigs binding or not moving smoothly.

Russ

Jeff Farris

The most important issue here is to keep the Universal Tool Support really clean.  I buff mine with a very small smear of honing compound every few hours of use.  Be sure to fully remove all residue, then apply some TeflonĀ® based lube (Tri-Flow or Boeshield T-9 for example) and completely wipe off all excess.  A clean, oiled Universal Tool Support should have minimal drag with the jigs.
Jeff Farris

Gary M.

Hi Jeff, Do you buff the UTS with the honing wheel or just wipe the compound on with a rag?

Thanks,
Gary

Jeff Farris

With a rag or shop-weight paper towel.
Jeff Farris

Gary M.