News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

New small knife jig design????

Started by park4, August 02, 2011, 03:50:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

park4

I was wondering if Tormek has redesigned the small knife jig.  I have just recently purchased the jig, it does not have a locking knob to lock the adjust at the top of the jig. All the books and videos show a locking knob. I compared the two jigs, the large jig and the small jig at the woodworking store where I bought the jig and the large one had a lock knob but not the small one. Another difference is the o-ring on the shaft, under the threads, on the small jig, and no o-ring on the larger one.  Pardon the rambling but I hope someone understands this rambling and can help me. Thank you so much.

Jason

Jeff Farris

The new design has the o-ring and does not have the locking knob. The o-ring provides sufficient friction to keep the stop from moving. A large number of users applied more pressure than necessary to the locking knob, which stripped the threads. The o-ring is just as effective and holding position, but doesn't require any adjustment.
Jeff Farris

park4

shotkizer

I purchased a T7 and am in the process of learning it.   NOT impressed with the o-ring feature of the knife jigs.  It does NOT, repeat DOES NOT, keep the handle from turning.  Can I purchase the old jig that locks in the handle?

shotkizer

I disagree Jeff.  The O-ring is not as effective for me!  It turns.  That means it changes the angle.  It also means it"s not sharpening the intended bevel.  Please advise.   

Mike Fairleigh

I have to say, mine turns too, just from keeping a firm grip on the jig.
Mike

"If I had 8 hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend 7 sharpening my axe."  --Abraham Lincoln

Herman Trivilino

I have one of the old style jigs and I have managed to strip the threads a bit although it's still usable.  Ever since they added the micro adjust to the universal support I don't adjust the jig nearly as much as I used to.
Origin: Big Bang

grepper

I find that mine turns when flipping the knife over to sharpen the other side.  It bugs me a bit everytime I use it.

The Finn

Quote from: shotkizer on October 08, 2012, 10:05:45 PM
I purchased a T7 and am in the process of learning it.   NOT impressed with the o-ring feature of the knife jigs.  It does NOT, repeat DOES NOT, keep the handle from turning.  Can I purchase the old jig that locks in the handle?

I also purchased T7 and practicing with it. It is extremely hard if not impossible hold this small knife jig so that handle doesnt move. Please everyone, give some hints to make this jig more practical.

Jeff Farris

How are you guys getting this thing to move so much? I demonstrated for the first time in several years this past weekend, and used all new jigs. I thought the new knife jig was brilliant. No, the fit isn't "rigid", but it would take a turn of at least a full revolution to have any discernible affect on the bevel angle. Stripping of the threads on the previous design was a huge issue. With the o-ring, the movement is minimized, unless you try to move it, and there's one less step to do.
Jeff Farris

Mike Fairleigh

I agree that in theory, the current design is superior to the old (as far as I understand the way it worked).  Maybe it's a matter of grip?  The grip I use causes it to turn just by holding firmly.  Not a full revolution, but it could end up being that much if I had to grind for very long.
Mike

"If I had 8 hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend 7 sharpening my axe."  --Abraham Lincoln

Jeff Farris

Take a look at this (really old) video:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYURcwkKGPs

Specifically at about 4:47 minutes in you'll see how I hold the jig, I have my thumb on the stop (or as I called it in the video, the "head") and my fingers on the clamp. There's a close up showing it in better detail at 6:15.

I just wish I knew who that young man in the video is. He looks a lot like me, just thinner and with much darker hair.  ;D
Jeff Farris

The Finn

Quote from: Jeff Farris on November 06, 2012, 05:29:41 PM
Take a look at this (really old) video:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYURcwkKGPs

Specifically at about 4:47 minutes in you'll see how I hold the jig, I have my thumb on the stop (or as I called it in the video, the "head") and my fingers on the clamp. There's a close up showing it in better detail at 6:15.

Well my first "knife" was the puukko wich I tried to grind a new bevel. Using extra force and 220 grit apparently was too much for the beginner like me. Now I've sharpened lots of regular knifes with 1000 grit and I must admit that I can control the sharpening process so that the stop doesnt rotate accidentally. Thank's Jeff.

Mike Fairleigh

Thanks for that great reference Jeff.  I'll have to try it that way.  I find that (especially with longer knives) that if I put one hand on the knife handle, the leverage causes me to move the knife around and gouge the edge or sharpen it unevenly.  So, I end up with a gorilla grip around the jig instead, trying to control everything from there.  So I'll keep practicing.
Mike