News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Question on how to sharpen a Sorby 1/2" micro skew chisel?

Started by Kent S., September 30, 2011, 04:02:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kent S.

Hi,

I have a Sorby 1/2" micro skew chisel that I purchased for turning pens.  When I tried to use the Multi Jig SVS-50 with the closed seat to sharpen the skew it wouldn't work.  The length of the skew is too short and the universal support basically touches the grind stone in order to get the correct angle with the SVS-50.  The Tormek manual states that for skew chisels < 4 1/8" in length to use the universal support as a rest when sharpening.   The Sorby micro skew length is lis little under 4".  My question - Is there a better way with the Tormek to sharpen a short skew chisel while keeping the angles of the skew correct?   I did come across this response in another thread under this forum, but I didn't find any reference in my Tormek manuals for using the open seat to sharpen short skew chisels.

"The handbook included in the TNT-300 Woodturners Instruction Box includes some advice on small tools.  There and in the standard handbook you will find that small skews can be done with the SVS-50 with the open seat (vee block) instead of the closed seat."

Thanks,

Kent  S.

Jeff Farris

Kent,

I would try the SVS-50 with the open seat, or if you're comfortable with freehand sharpening, I do my little skew on the side of the stone.
Jeff Farris

Kent S.

Hi Jeff,

Thank you for the quick reply.   Can you please provide a little more detail on using the open face on the SVS-50 for sharpening a short skew chisel?  I set the open seat to the same angle as the top of the skew (~20deg) and mount the skew laying flat in the open face with the top screw clamped on the center of the skew towards the bottom.    I adjust the universal support so that when I rest lip of the SVS-50 on the universal support the correct skew bevel angle is obtained with the stone face.   The problem I encounter is when I flip over the SVS-50 to sharpen the other side, the knob on the top screw touches the grind stone and I can't achieve the correct bevel angle.

Thanks Again,

Kent S.

Jeff Farris

I've run into that issue before, too. Take a look at getting a metric bolt of the right diameter from the hardware store. The pinpoint shape isn't important in this situation.
Jeff Farris