News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

efficient use of wheel grader

Started by joel, May 05, 2011, 05:51:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joel

I'm about to perform my first sharpening session on my new T7.  First up are 6 chisels that need to be reground, refined and honed.

To perform the steps, I understand that I would regrind each chisel on the coarse stone, use the grader to change the stone to 1000 grit and then refine the edge without removing the chisel from the jig. Then regrade the stone back to coarse... etc. This requires regrading the stone from coarse to fine and back again something like 11 times for 6 chisels. Wouldn't it save a lot of wear and tear on the stone and grader to position each chisel the same "protrusion" from the jig's edge – scribe a fine line, or use a strip of tape on the chisel at the jig's edge – regrind all 6 on the coarse wheel, then using the grader ONLY ONCE, carefully reinsert each chisel in it's original position and refine – and hone – all 6?

Any comments/advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Joel

Jeff Farris

Sounds logical, but it doesn't work.  ;D

The grading process cleans the grindstone, as well as controlling the cutting action. The fast cutting surface would not continue to perform optimally for more than one or two tools, and resetting the jig, even using a set protrusion, takes longer than the grading process.
Jeff Farris

joel

Jeff, thanks for your valuable insight. I now understand the reasoning behind the preferred process and I'll do it "by the book".

Ken S

Joel,

I think many (most?) of us, myself included, have wondered the same thing about going back and forth with the stone grader.  Going back and forth seems counter intuitive.  However, it seems to be the nature of the beast.  We are accustomed to changing between individual stone grits.  Being able to change the grit of a single stone often doesn't compute with our background.  With practice you will develop a rhythm.  You won't miss the overheated blue edges.

Welcome to the forum.

Ken