News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

recently purchased SUPERGRIND 1200 now has chunks in wheel

Started by AussieChippy, April 25, 2011, 01:16:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AussieChippy

I own a T7 unit with standard attachments and use this unit for sharpening chisels, hand planner blades and purchased the SVH-320 to sharpen my electric planner blades. All these work great and love the system
I purchased today an older SUPERGRIND 1200 and attachements STRAIGHT EDGE JIG SVH-60 and 2 knife jigs SVM- 45&140 and SCISSOR jig SVX-150.
got it for a cheap price because it was from an old harware store and not needed any longer.
the wheel on the unit was quite out of round i would say 1/8" (like an egg)  also the wear on the stone was very sloped.
so i brought the unit to my workshop and attached my truing tool TT-50 and began to work the surface.
this was VERY difficult because at one part of the wheel the cutter would touch and on the oppisite side clear by 1/8"
also hard due to the lack of micro adjustment on the older universal support.
after awhile of this i have large chunks out or the wheel due to the way the wheel was worn.
stopped to not make the sitation worse and quite alot of vibration using like this.
QUESTION is this.
Is the wheel Salvageable?

Jeff Farris

Sure it is. And, you're going about it just right, but it will take quite a bit of time. Take it slow and easy. Lots of little cuts will give you better results than trying to take a bunch at once.

You might consider investing in the micro-adjust Universal Support for the 1200.
Jeff Farris

Ken S

If you follow Jeff's advice, you will have increased your knowledge/skill.  It will be time well spent. 

Please do so and do post your results.

Good luck,

Ken

AussieChippy

Wow guys, thanks for the prompt responce! i thought i would get an email to tell me that i had a reply, so i hadn't checked for awhile. i will certainly look into the micro adjustment universal support as i have it on my t7 and it's brilliant. the wheel seems to respond very differently to my t7 wheel when using the truing tool.
thanks a heap