News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

T2000 Motor Bogging Down Under Load After 1/2 Hour Of Use

Started by Carlo Petrilli, April 05, 2011, 12:58:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carlo Petrilli

I have a Tormek 2000 and after about 1/2 hour of continuous sharpening the motor starts to bog down under load.  Could this mean I have a bad capacitor or is the motor starting to fail?  Please help.

Carlo

Jeff Farris

Carl,

I doubt the motor is the problem at all. Take the honing wheel off, turn the machine on, and clean the surface of the drive tire with a bit of coarse (80 to 100 grit) sandpaper. The motor shaft is slipping on the drive wheel surface. It is either slightly oxidized or contaminated with dust, either way, a little abrasion will put things right.

If that doesn't work, let me know.
Jeff Farris

Ken S

Carlo Petrilli

I actually installed a new drive wheel on the unit after reading some of the other posts.  Prior to installation I scuffed the new wheel up a bit to provide some additional bite.

Steve Brown

And what was the result? Did scuffing help, or did you actually have to replace the whole drive wheel to get it to work properly?
Steve

Carlo Petrilli

I replaced the drive wheel, but prior to installing the new drive wheel I scuffed it a little.

Carlo Petrilli

Update:

I replaced the capacitor thinking it was a faulty capacitor.  Turned it on and started sharpening and about halfway through my second chisel it started to bog down again.  So it wasn't the capacitor. I went ahead and tried to see if the drive wheel was slipping.  It was pretty hard to create the bogging down issue and view the drive wheel a at the same time.  But in the end it is the drive wheel slipping, I roughed it up again with 100 grit sandpaper, it was a little better but it still slipped after about half hour of usage.  Is there something I can use to dress the drive wheel with that would prevent the slippage?  What I find strange is the drive wheel starts to slip after about about a half hour of usage, is the heat generated by the friction of the shaft and drive wheel cause this to happen?

Herman Trivilino

Try cleaning the motor spindle? 

I just scuffed up the drive tire with some sandpaper.  Then I dabbed a clean paper towel into some mineral spirits and applied it to the motor spindle.  I removed quite a bit of gunk.
Origin: Big Bang