News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Out of square plane iron

Started by Jefft, March 11, 2011, 11:57:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

Jeff,

No, you didn't ruin your blade; with the efficiency of the Tormek, you just put about three not so good sharpenings on the blade!  It'a all part of the learning process.  (I have a wide paring chisel beautifully sharpened and honed to a mirror polish with oil stones.  No micro bevel, the whole bevel is like a mirror.  The problem is the edge isn't square!....Welcome to the club.)

Make sure your plane blade is parallel.  You can do this with your combination square by measuring both ends carefully.  The readings should be the same.

Once that is established, I suggest you carefully and slowly grind the blade edge square.  (Have you dressed your wheel with the diamond dresser?)  
Grind a little off the long side of the edge.  About half an inch will give you an idea with your square if you are grinding properly. If so, continue until the edge is square.

This should become a valuable learning experience in your sharpening education.  Remember, things like plane blades, chisels, and grinding wheels are "consumables".  (hopefully not too quickly)

Don't give up, and keep us posted.

Ken

Steve Brown

Hey Ken,
What do you mean by grind a half an inch off the long side?
Steve

Jefft

I forgot to mention that everything started coming together after I dressed the wheel, it was out of parallel to the universal support.  Visually it looked OK, but the high side of the taper coincided with the low side of the out of squareness on the iron.  Learning point is to more carefully assess the parallism (spelling?) of the wheel.

Ken S

Good for you, Jeff.  You have solved your problem.  What I meant by the grinding a half inch was to grind just a little bit from the long side of the skew.  At that point, you can place your square on the part you have just ground and see if it is square (or more accurately, becoming square).

Having the ability to grind square edges gives you a giant step forward, as does developing your troubleshooting skills.

Do keep posting.

Ken