News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

T3 thoughts

Started by Ken S, March 07, 2011, 11:33:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

This past Saturday I spent a day in Holmes County, Ohio.  One of my favorite haunts is Keim Lumber in Charm.  Keim caters to local contractors and small shops in the area, which has significant a Amish and Mennonite population.  (Among other things they sell air powered routers.)

In their dealer display I saw a T3 for the first time. I was impressed with the smaller model.  I certainly don't regret purchasing my T7.  I like the larger diameter grinding wheel, the heavier duty motor and the metal housing.

However, for someone needing a wet grinder with space and weight constraints on on a very tight budget, the T3 looked like a good choice.  It would provide the Tormek "burn free" wet grinding; the much more comfortable grinding for older hands; and the Tormek quality and versatility in a smaller, lighter and less expensive package for home use.

Without the constraints, I would certainly opt for the T7.  In a more constrained environment I would favor the T3 over other choices.

Ken

mGuitars

I actually first bought a T3 but was horribly disappointed with it.  The wheel was anything but true.  I don't know if the shaft was bent or the wheel was molded out of alignment, but it wobbled considerably! I had even purchased all the extra items that would have come standard with the T7 (like the Truing-tool) so that I'd have the same setup as a T7; just with a smaller wheel.   I took mine back and had the store owner look it all over and he confirmed it was a lemon.  We checked his other stock and they all were equally poor.  All the T7's in the store were working great, so I traded up and have been happy since.  I have not had a chance to look at a new T3 (Mine was the very first production-run), but I would suggest to anyone that they look it over with a fine-toothed comb and run it in the store before buying one!

Ken S

Good reply, mGuitars. 

You seem to be the only one on the forum who has any experience with the T3.  Unfortunately, your experience does not paint a very rosy picture of the T3. 

When the cost of the truing jig is added to the base cost, the difference between the T3 an T7 is narrowed. Being able to true the wheel should really not an option.

One should not have to look over a Tormek with a fine toothed comb; that's the job of the factory quality control.

Ken

mGuitars

I agree, you should not "have to" look one over, but I was very disappointed in my my experience to the point I almost didn't want to buy a Tormek at all!

If the factory had done its job on quality-control, there would not have been a store with all 3 of its T3's in-stock being equally out-of-tolerance of what the manual said, the store-owner, and my own common-sense could tell from 10-feet away. If the boxes didn't look like they were in pristine-shape, I would have thought that maybe they were dropped in shipping or something like that. 

I believe I did a fair evaluated the T3 and had thought thing through by purchasing the extra items so that that I would have a fair comparison between the T3 and T7.  There "was" without a doubt a difference.  I believe the T7 is very well-made and I knew of its reputation before-hand, which led me to buy that brand over the cheaper competitor. 

Like I said before: This might have been a fluke and something that was worked out in the beginning. I really wished the T3 worked out for me.  I believe the T7 is a little overkill for my uses, but I'm very happy with it.  I think Tormek is a great brand with good products and customer service.   

Ken S

I wonder if anyone in Sweden reads this forum?

Ken S

Attn Moderator: I inadvertently placed this in the wrong topic.  please move it to "changes"  Thanks, Ken

Welcome, Stig. 

I posted this in April 2011:

Quote from: Ken S on April 04, 2011, 08:36:18 PM
I wonder if anyone in Sweden reads this forum?

I meant the question in the spirit of constructive concern.  Stig sent me an email.  Yes, indeed, someone, Stig, was listening in Sweden. Until recently Stig has preferred to listen and learn rather than actively participate. I was pleased to know that we do have someone listening in Sweden.  I don't expect Sweden to change course because of my posts, however, I am glad to know Stig is listening.

I have occasionally titled a new topic "a question for .........."  This not only posts a topic of general interest to the forum, but makes sure the person asked is aware of the post.  Now that Stig has become a more active member, from time to time I will probably title new topics "a question for Stig". In fairness to Stig, these questions will be occasional.  Stig has always been courteous and positive with me, and I have treated him in the same polite manner.  I have expressed the same concerns to him that I have posted on the forum, mainly my concern about what I believe is a lack of training materials (especially you tubes) available from Tormek.

In some of my posts I have responded to quality complaints about new Tormek units. I have been very vocal about my belief that Tormek should make things right. To the best of my knowledge, Tormek has always done the right thing.  Quality and service have always been part of the Tormek business philosophy, as it should be. In this forum we have the opportunity to share our concerns and see improvements. I trust we will all use this opportunity in a constructive mature manner.

So, welcome, Stig.  I trust your experience with the forum will be positive, informative and productive and enjoyable.

Ken

Stickan

Thank you Ken for those kind words.
I will do my very best to give as good help as possible!

Regards from a very hot Sweden,
Stig