News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Questions regarding the BGM-100 - Bench Grinder Mount

Started by DavidWalser, March 01, 2011, 07:47:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidWalser

Over a year ago, I purchased the BGM-100 - Bench Grinder Mount for use with a
new slow-speed 8" bench grinder I had also purchased. Saturday, I finally got around to setting up my bench grinder with the BGM-100.

My questions: Can I use the TT-50 - Diamond Truing Tool to get the dry grinder's wheel parallel with the
Universal Support? If not, how would you recommend truing up the wheels? The instruction book only mentions using a small subset of Tormek's jigs with the
BGM-100 (basically, the jigs used with turning tools). Are there any jigs that CANNOT be used with the BGM-100?

DK Walser

Ken S

David,

I have one of these to dress my dry grinder wheels.  It works well and is inexpensive.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=55075&cat=1,43072,43080&ap=1

The BGM-100 is designed for shaping (as opposed to sharpening) turning turning tools.

By the way, good choice in a dry grinder.

Ken

DavidWalser

Ken,

Thank you for your helpful reply.  I have a similar diamond dresser (http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Sharpening___Grinders___Wheels___Diamond_Wheel_Dresser___diamond_dresser?Args=) that I've used with my old high-speed dry grinder for years.  When I go out to the shop tomorrow, I'll use it to get the face of my new grinder's wheels square-ish with the Universal Support.

I still question if there is a reason why someone wouldn't or shouldn't use the TT-50 - Diamond Truing Tool for this purpose?  It would seem to do a more accurate job than would my old diamond dresser.  That way, after I've shaped my new turning tools on the dry grinder there will be less work to do on my Tormek as I bring that newly shaped edge to fully Tormek sharp.
DK Walser

Ken S

David,

I have not tried the TT-50 with my dry grinder.  (My dry grinder is a venerable Sears 6" high speed model. I used it recently to remove decades of mushrooming from a splitting wedge.  The three something Norton 46 grit wheel did a fine job of removing a lot of metal quickly, and heating the shop!)

My concern with using the TT-50 is the speed of your grinder.  Even at 1750 RPM, it is almost twenty times faster than a Tormek. I have used the TT-50 with my Tormek stone with good results.  It does look a little "bouncy" for use at higher speeds.  In fairness, it was not designed for high speed work.  It might work.  If you try it, you might end up needing to replace it.  I wouldn't try it.

I would try using simple measuring tools to check for squareness and flatness.  A small machinist's square will tell the tale if your wheel is dressed square.  Use it from both sides of the wheel to double check.

Once squareness is established, you should be able to place the square along the universal support bar and see if it is square to the side of the wheel.

An alternate method is to use either inside calipers of feeler gages to check parallelness between the bar and the edge of the wheel.Check along different points of the edge of the wheel.  The caliper of gage should have the same feel on the left as on the right.  Using inside calipers lets you check the bar at the working distance.  Using a piece of wood as a feeler gage is probably accurate enough.

I don't have the obsession with speed that some Tormek users do.  Watching Jeff's video where he shaped a turning tool in the Tormek didn't seem to take all that long.  I would lean toward just using the tormek on a day which was not busy.  It I didn't have my Tormek, the BGM-100 would be a fine choice.

Keep us posted.

Ken

Herman Trivilino

Quote from: DavidWalser on March 05, 2011, 09:18:12 AM
I still question if there is a reason why someone wouldn't or shouldn't use the TT-50 - Diamond Truing Tool for this purpose?  

The precision is not necessary.  The grinding wheel is too narrow and the work is too rough. 

On the other hand, if you want to do it, go for it.  Just be aware of the fact that it could eat the diamond tip of the truing tool.
Origin: Big Bang

DavidWalser

Quote from: Herman Trivilino on March 05, 2011, 04:41:33 PM
On the other hand, if you want to do it, go for it.  Just be aware of the fact that it could eat the diamond tip of the truing tool.

Herman,

Thanks for the response.  I was aware of the "try-it-for-myself-and-see-what-happens" option.  But, as Ken suggests, that way risks destroying my TT-50.  That's why I was hoping that someone who actually knows if it would work would chime in.  Never fear, if I feel adventurous enough to risk my $79.95 jig, I'll be sure to post the results.  I think, however, I'll be more likely to lie down until the adventurous feeling passes.
DK Walser

GoGuppy

Quote from: DavidWalser on March 05, 2011, 05:41:12 PM
Thanks for the response.  I was aware of the "try-it-for-myself-and-see-what-happens" option.  But, as Ken suggests, that way risks destroying my TT-50.  That's why I was hoping that someone who actually knows if it would work would chime in.  Never fear, if I feel adventurous enough to risk my $79.95 jig, I'll be sure to post the results.  I think, however, I'll be more likely to lie down until the adventurous feeling passes.
David,
This was raised by me some time ago, see http://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=876.msg1938#msg1938
Cheers

Ken S

Well noted, Peter.  Most of us, myself included, often neglect due diligence researching of past posts before posting.

So, give us some follow up.  How do you now maintain your grinding wheels? 

Ken

ps Please continue to post; the forum works better with more participation.

GoGuppy

Quote from: Ken S on March 07, 2011, 11:11:20 AM
... give us some follow up.  How do you now maintain your grinding wheels? 

Ken
Hi Ken

I use a Wheel Doctor readily available down under in Oz (See http://www.carbatec.com.au/wheel-doctor_c2000).
Works a treat.   ;D
Cheers
Peter

Ken S

GoGuppy

Quote from: Ken S on March 07, 2011, 12:10:53 PM
Your down under tool looks a lot like my up over tool.

Ken
It sure does...wow...at a fraction of the price down here....no surprises there  :'(
Peter

Ken S

peter,

The real treat with the dry grinder is using the diamond dresser with a Norton 3X 46 grit wheel.  As we say up over,  it's a real "go getter".

Ken

DavidWalser

DK Walser