News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Nail Nipper Sharpening

Started by laclipperrepair, January 27, 2011, 11:48:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

laclipperrepair

I am wondering if I can sharpen nail nipper/ toe nail nipper with Tormek T-7.

May be by using the side of the whee SJ-250 ?
And final finishing with the side of the "Profiled Leather Honing Wheel".

Think it could only be done free hand.

Any thoughts ?

::)

jeffs55

I don't think it is worth the trouble considering the cost of buying a new pair.
You can use less of more but you cannot make more of less.

Ken S

The shape of the Tormek wheel could certainly be modified to match the curve of nail clippers. The slower speed and wet surface of the Tormek machine would eliminate burning the edge of the clippers.  I would use the Torlock flat platform to maintain a constant bevel angle.

If all clippers had a standard size radius, the process would be a snap.  Trying to sharpen different size clippers would be a nightmare.

I have had very good success with a method for sharpening my serrated bread knife.  The scallops have a similar radius to nail clippers.  I bought a piece of 1/4" dowel and some self adhesive very fine sandpaper.  )I bought the micro sandpaper from Lee Valley.  It is 3M brand and listed under sharpening supplies.)

You might need several different diameters of dowel to accommodate different size clippers.

Cut a slice of the sandpaper to about the circumference of the clipper.  Remove the backer material and attach the sandpaper to the dowel.  Use it as a file on the bevel edges.

You should make up several short dowels to accommodate three different grits of the micro abrasive paper. 

You will also need to make up a "square dowel" with fine grit to remove the burr and polish the back bevel of the edges.

My eight inch Henckel bread knife has 28 scallop serrations.  Once I had the dowel wrapped and ready, the actual sharpening took about fifteen minutes.  I did not hurry.  I would guess a set of nail clippers could easily be sharpened this way in less than five minutes, even by a slow guy like me.  With a little practice (and a spare dowel all prepared), your time should be considerably less.

I don''t believe you will become wealthy sharpening clippers.  However, at a dollar or two, it seems a good way to build a customer base.  The required capital is minimal, and the entire kit would fit in a pocket of pencil box.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Ken

nobby1967

You could also use a slip stone.