News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Cap Iron Plane Screwdriver

Started by tooljunkie, January 26, 2011, 06:03:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

Thanks for the tip, grizzz.

My order was already in pixelland.

Ken

Ken S

Dan,

The Plane Cap Screwdriver arrived yesterday.  What a quality tool; it's well made and beautifully finished.

It fits my plane screws perfectly.  It also fits the screw on the eclipse jig nicely.  It's not a perfect fit, but very functional.

Thanks for the idea.

Ken

tooljunkie

Your welcome Ken

Yes it is very well made & finished.
I keep mine in the bubble package it came with in the drawer with my planes so it does not get scratched.

Glad it works with your eclipse jig
You can never have enough tools!

Ken S

Dan,

Funny that you keep your plane Cap Screwdriver in the bubble wrap; so do I.  The wood finishing is so nice.  I like the subtle turned circular line.  It looks like the finish was applied on the lathe, and maybe burnished with chips.  I have it sitting next to my 1909 Bedrock 604 Smoothing Plane.  I bought it from the original owner almost forty years ago.  If planes could talk......this one has seen service in Florida during the "boom" and Goodyear Aerospace during WWII.

Ken

tooljunkie

Nice
1909 That would have some stories.
What shape is it in?

Ken S

Two careful owners; it's in nice shape.

tooljunkie

My planes are Stanley/Bailey the oldest was made in 1932

tooljunkie

I will be picking up the TormekĀ® Hand-Tool Kit today but may not be able to play with it (or should I say use it) untill aprill 4th on my birthday.  ;D  ::)

grizzz66

hi all ,

that cap iron trick works with the stanley/baileys/bedrocks....i don't know if it works with LV planes....i probably shoulda thought of that before  ::)
what are you building today ?

Ken S

grizzz,

I have actually used the cap iron trick.  It does work.  However, I think the Lee Valley tool gives more control.  It also fits very well.

Ken

Ken S

Dan,

I inherited a Bailey (number 4) of about your vintage from my grandfather.  It's a well made plane.  I wouldn't trade it for a new one.  I like using old tools. They may have retained some of the experience of some of the old craftsmen who have used them, as well as some nice patina.

Ken

tooljunkie

Ken S

Dan (and forum),

I have just ordered a copy of Ernie Conover's new plane book and DVD.  Ernie is an excellent teacher and an old hand at plane restoration "tuning".  His handplane class is most informative.  I'll post an update on the book and DVD after I study them.

Ken