News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Dog Leg Chisels by Woodcraft

Started by jgreen, January 11, 2011, 11:16:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jgreen

If my shop caught on fire, I would run back into the burning building and grab my Tormek! Now the serious question. I just purchased a set of dog leg chisels by Woodcraft and they don't seem to have enough "leg" to be able to clamp into the SVS-32 short tool jig. The jig indicates that the leg must be a minimum of 1 3/4" inch. The leg on these chisels are only 1 1/4".
Suggestions?
Jeff Green

Jeff Farris

Put it in there and see if you can get the bevel angle that you want. That's the only limitation.
Jeff Farris

nhblacksmith

If the handle is small enough and the blade properly aligned to the handle, you can clamp the chisel in the jig by the handle. 
Neal

Ken S

Neal,

You might try sharpening them the way you would sharpen a cold chisel- resting the blade on the universal support bar.  (Use the front edge of the handle as a fulcrum.)   Use the horizontal position (wheel revolving away from the edge) and set the angle with the chisel handle against the bar.  Eyeball for square.  (I don't think squareness is all that critical with these chisels.  I have a set of three from Lee Valley, which I believe are the same thing.  They are useful for tweaking where bigger chisels fear to tread, or get stuck trying.

Recheck the grinding angle for the skews.

I would start with the stone configured to the fine setting, or even with the leather honing wheel.

Keep us posted.  I'm still in the "stone age" with sharpening my dog leg chisels.  I'd like to modernize.

Ken