News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

grinding pressure

Started by stwing, December 27, 2004, 08:36:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stwing

I have been using a Tormek occasionally for several years and always DREAD the initial grind of a chisel or plane iron. It seems to take at least an hour to grind a moderately hard chisel to 25 degrees (e.g., a standard Marples blue 1 1/4" chisel took 1.25 hours from grind to hone).

I just watched all three videos and it seems like there are two possible issues. First is stone grading -- I probably am not keeping my stone as clean as I should by getting after it with the rough side of the grader. The second issue is grinding pressure -- watching the first video, it seems like Jeff is putting a considerable amount of pressure on the tool. Jeff -- how much pressure should I use on the initial grind? I'm generally sliding the tool back and forth hearing it cut, but it seems to take forever. I'm not consciously applying much force.

Thanks. Shawn.

Jeff Farris

Sorry for the delay in replying.  We moved over the holidays, and it has taken a couple of weeks to recover....not to mention doing a show every week.

There is definitely something wrong, because the same chisel that you are talking about is what I whack and repair in 5-6 minutes at the shows dozens of times each day.

Stone condition is much more of a factor than pressure.  That stone has to be clean.  Aggressive cleaning of the stone with the grader is the first thing you need to address.  Clean...really clean....I mean clean.  Did I mention you need to clean your stone?  No kidding, if you see any color other than the light grey of the stone, it won't work correctly.  

As for pressure, I use what I would call moderate pressure.  I am definitely leaning on the tool, but not as hard as I possibly can.  You can't overdo it.  You won't hurt the tool or the TORMEK by pressing hard.  However, pressure won't do any good if the stone is dirty and glazed over.
Jeff Farris

calvindog

My Tormek seems to run so slow that it takes a long time to sharpen stuff.  Is there a way to speed it up or is it possible  mine has slowed down. Also when I apply much pressure,  the wheel stops although the motor keeps spinning.  Lastly,  how do you recommend we clean the wheel?

Jeff Farris

If you can slow your machine down, remove the leather honing wheel and use some 80 grit sandpaper to clean the drive wheel.  After cleaning, treat the drive wheel with automotive belt dressing. Then you will no longer be able to slow or stall the machine.

Use the SP-650 Stone Grader (coarse side) to clean the stone.  

Both of the above recommendations are outlined in the Owner's Handbook.
Jeff Farris