News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Tormek Original Grindstone SG-250

Started by tooljunkie, January 07, 2011, 06:45:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tooljunkie

Hello Tormek users.

I have a question about the Tormek Original Grindstone SG-250.

I have noticed that my stone goes out of round after a day or two.
The stone seemed to be in good shape when last used but the next time I use it it needs to be trued using the Truing Tool.

To test my situation I trued the stone at the end of my sharpening session & after a day or two tested it & sure enough it was out of round again.

The one thing that comes to mind is that it may be happening because the bottom of the stone is in water causing it to change shape from the difference in watter content from the top being dry & bottom being wet.

Has any one noticed this?
Should I remove the Water Trough when not in use?

Thanks
Dan

You can never have enough tools!

Jeff Farris

Dan,

Yes, you should drop (and clean) the water tray when the machine is not in use.  However, I have not experienced the situation you're describing.
Jeff Farris

tooljunkie

Thanks for the fast reply Jeff.
I will remove the Water Trough when not in use.

Dan

ionut

Hi Dan,

I have to admit I am pretty negligent with cleaning the through after finishing sharpening. Sometimes when I don't have much sharpening to do I leave the water in the through until it dries out, and regardless what I do, I never experienced the out of round of the stone because of that. It is true that every time when I start sharpening for the day I replenish the water if needed and run the machine for a couple of minutes before sharpening so it gets filled with water again. So even if you forgot to empty the through and the stone sat in the water for a longer time just running the machine for a couple of minutes before starting should uniformly load the stone with water.

Ionut

tooljunkie