News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Hedge Clippers

Started by glh17, November 10, 2010, 03:23:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

glh17

Newbie here.  I can't find the sharpening angle for a set of older hedge clippers that are in good shape, but I don't think the factory angle has been maintained.  Can someone tell me what's a good bevel angle for a set of manual hedge clippers?

DSS

Oh I would say around 25 on the angle, that's generally what I've found them to be. I have had a few at 30 but it's not super critical in my opinon.

Ken

glh17

Ken,
Thanks, I'll try 25 degrees.  The angle is about 50 degrees right now.
Gary

Jeff Farris

25 sounds like way too large an angle to me. Like most scissor action tools, I would expect them to be between 45 and 60 degrees.
Jeff Farris

glh17

I don't have to use the clippers for a while so I'll take a protractor to HD and try to find the factor angle.  I doubt the guys selling the clippers will know, but I'll try that to.  Based on Jeff's comment, I think the 50 degree bevel now on the clippers is probably about right. 
Thanks,
Gary

DSS

Gary, first of all I wish to apologize to you and thank Jeff for catching my mistake. When I quoted you the bevel on the hedge shears I was not looking at the right records from my file and the angles I gave you of 24 deg to 30 deg were for Machette's. As many times that I have sharpened hedge trimmers it should have registered but it didn't. So once again with no excuses I apologize for the incorrect info and wish to thank Jeff for correcting me. (Jeff is right - 45 to 60)

Ken

glh17

DSS,
No problem.  I believe the clippers' bevel is about where it's suppose to be, around 50 degrees.  I'll just re-sharpen and go from there. 
Thanks,
Gary