News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Tormek drill sharpening jig

Started by Trevor Wilson, November 01, 2010, 07:57:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trevor Wilson

G'day Jeff,
              I have just taken delivery of the new drill sharpening jig, an excellent addition to the Tormek system. I do have one question though, I have been sharpening a few old drill bits and have noticed that after sharpening them when testing them the swarf comes of in chips rather than a continous spiral that you usally get with a new drill bit. I am drilling a piece of 1/4" flat mild steel plate, in drill press using Trefolex as a cutting agent. Am I doing something wrong in the  sharpening process or is this normal? I would like to use this jig to make a few dollars on the side sharpening drill bits for the workshops etc around me, but I don't feel that the result I am getting is good enough to charge for. Hope you can help. I do use the T7 for sharpening scissors for the local sewing shop and find it does a great job, had some good feed back from customers. Also do a few hunting knives for a friend, he has been very happy with the result.

Regards

Trevor Wilson
(Australia)   

Jeff Farris

Trevor,

Try increasing your primary bevel angle slightly.
Jeff Farris

Trevor Wilson

G'day Jeff,
              I changed the primary angle on drill sharpening jig and that worked a treat on the drills, they cut like new ones. Thanks a lot for your help.
Regards

Trevor Wilson     

Jeff Farris

Jeff Farris

Ken S

Jim Carroll

Trevor just a question what angle did you have the primary angle set for and what did you adjust it to. What was the size of the drill bit that changed it on.

Just a bit of info for everyone out there
One good turn deseves another www.cws.au.com