News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Dimensions of a SuperGrind 2000

Started by Tarhead, November 02, 2010, 04:20:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tarhead

I have to transport a Tormek SuperGrind 2000 without the original box back from a business trip this week as checked baggage and all I see are the T-7 dimensions.  If I take the stone and stropping wheel off, what's the smallest box the main part will fit in? Do I need any tools to take the wheels off of the stock version?

If anyone has one and could take a few measurements for me quick I would appreciate it.  I leave Wednesday morning early.  It will keep me from scrounging around for boxes away from home.  Thanks!

Herman Trivilino

10 inches by 10 inches by 11 inches.  (0.25 m x 0.25 m x 0.28 m).

You'll need wrench to get the original grindstone off.  Mine's not stock anymore, so I don't know the nut size.  About one inch, or 25 mm, would be my guess, but a crescent wrench that size is advisable.

Also, I think it's the same size as the T-7.
Origin: Big Bang

Jeff Farris

Wrench size is 19mm or 3/4 inch (one of those rare instances where one standard fits the other).

As luggage, I would highly recommend that you use  at least a 15" cube box and fill the space with packing material.
Jeff Farris

Tarhead

Thanks again for the assistance on this!

I was able to disassemble the wheels and double box the main unit with foam peanuts separating the boxes.  In additon I had some air pillows cushioning the outer box in my large suitcase and foam peaanuts in the outer pockets of the suitcase.  TSA left me a nice note.  I'm sure they wondered what the heck it was. ;D

The stone wheel was triple wrapped in bubblewrap and I made a custom cardboard box for it packed between my clothes in another suitcase.  Thankfully I don't have to pay for checked bags and the luggage handlers were nice to my lugggage.  Everything made it home in one piece.