News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Building a Box for Transporting T-7

Started by poj, September 01, 2010, 11:33:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poj

I have bought a Tormek T-7 to be able to sharpen my knives and other tools.
However, I do not have a workshop and need to be able to transport my T-7 to different places for doing sharpening.
Repacking the T-7 in the original cardboard box is not really a good solution, since it will be a real nightmare to get all things to fit, and the box will soon be worn out.
So I've been thinking about building a box for transporting the T-7. Is there anybody out there that have done that already, and have an example of how it could be done?

Jeff Farris

Unless it is necessary to stack your cargo, I would suggest that you build or buy a case that will hold the loose bits (water tray, Universal Support, jigs, etc.) and simply use the handle to transport the machine. Also, you will have much better life from the nylon bushings in your machine if you remove the grindstone when transporting.
Jeff Farris

poj

As a temporary solution, until I have had the time to build something better, I've built this.

Verktygslåda by perojonsson, on Flickr

The reason for it not being tall enough for the T-7 is that it is build using wood from a cheap set of shelves for shoes.
It was the cheapest way to get hold of some wood to build from, but the length of some of the precut pieces was a bit to short.
The Machine itself actually fits inside the box if the grindstone and honing wheel is removed, but I have not tried to get the things to fit with them not on the machine.

Ken S

I would suggest building the box with a space to securely store the grinding wheel beneath the T7.  It would give a low center of gravity and keep things from tipping over.  The new quick change shaft would seem like a nice idea with this arrangement.  Accessories could be stored beside the T7.