News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Tormek Wood Turnig Accessories

Started by Rick_B, August 20, 2010, 05:05:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick_B

I'm looking to expand the use of my Tormek to turning tools and am looking for some guidance.  After looking at the various accessories I'm a little confused.

I was originally considering the bundle pack (BGM-100, TTS-100 and SVD-185).  I already have a slow speed dry grinder and a Tormek so this looked like a pretty good set up.  Looking at the detail however, it seems that the SVD-185 is specifically recommended for fingernail grind gouges.  It doesn't appear that it is of any value for other tools (skews, parting tools, etc).  There is also a SVS-50 Multi Jig that appears  to be for all of the other turning tools.  Do I need both of these jigs (SVD-185 and SVS-50) to be able to sharpen the normal complement of turning tools?

Also - does the TNT-300 instruction DVD/Book contain additional material beyond what is covered with the instructions included with the jigs.

Thanks for any help you can offer in clearing up my confusion

Rick

Robbo

Your best bet is to get the TNT 300 kit.

It contains ALL the jigs required for sharpening 95% of your turning tools. The DVD is very good value.

The only reason that I say 95% is because some of the larger gouges that we use will not fit.

In your case it may well sharpen all your tools.

It requires a little practise to use it but you will love it when you get the knack. ;D
"We do good turns every day"

Rick_B

Thanks Robbo - another question - the recommendation you made does not include the bench griner mount - is that something you see any value in?

Jim Carroll

The BGM-100 is a good addition as you are able to shape the tools prior to going to the tormek for final sharpening.

To shape a tool on the tormek can take quite a while but on a spark grinder only minute.
One good turn deseves another www.cws.au.com

Robbo

"We do good turns every day"

Rick_B

Thanks Jim and Robbo - appreciate the thoughts!