News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Dry grind on the Tormek?

Started by bsudy, June 17, 2010, 03:18:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bsudy

To speed up the shaping process, couldn't you put an 8" Norton 3X blue grinding wheel (80 grit) on the Tormek?  Granted you would have to bush the wheel from its 1" bore to fit the 12mm shaft, but bushings are available from McMaster-Carr for about 6 bucks.  And, of course, the wheel would be spinning much slower than its rated speed.  Other than that, it sounds like a better (and easier) idea than setting up a separate dry, high speed, grinder.  Maybe you could even run it wet.  Anyone tried it?

bsudy

It works great.  I got a cheap, 8" Delta medium grit wheel for 13 bucks.  The bushings to fit the Tormek shaft were 11 bucks.  Put it on the Tormek, trued it up, and ran it wet.  You can shape in no time with no heat build up.

Harris

I decommissioned my hi-speed grinder when I installed the T-3.  I have some wheels left from the grinder and mounted them on a morse taper, and run them on my lathe at any speed for rough work. 

Ken S

Why the 80 grit stone?  I recently purchased a Norton 3X 46 grit stone for my dry grinder.  It cuts fast, and the finish is surprisingly not as coarse as I had expected.  These stones are made with two different binder hardnesses (I and K).  I don't know which might work better for you.  I also don't know how these stones would work wet, as mine is a six in diameter.

If it worked well wet, an eight inch 3X 46 grit stone would certainly speed up shaping.