News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

flattening chisel and plane backs, Ron Hock suggestion

Started by Ken S, July 26, 2010, 03:30:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

On page 90 of his sharpening book, Ron Hock states that he suggested a fix for flattening the backs of chisels and planes with the Tormek, and that it may already be available.  Would you please describe this.
Thanks.

Ken S

I neglected to mention in the first post that Ron Hock states he made the suggestion for the fix to "Tormek's US representative". 

HMC

I have found that using a foot operated switch enables me to easily use both hands and have the back of the blade in flat contact with the side of the wheel before it starts turning. It stays in contact until after the wheel stops.  This has eliminated the risk of rounding over an edge.

Ken S

Good suggestions about using the foot switches.  I had the opportunity to try flattening an old plane blade and a 3/8" chisel. (I am very new to the Tormek.) The switch would have helped with the narrow chisel blade.  It certainly would not have hurt with the wide plane blade, although its width made it easier to align.

Using the side of the Tormek wheel strikes me as more like getting onto a moving escalator than jumping onto a moving train.

I will continue practicing back flattening with my Tormek.  The Tormek is certainly the cat's meow for many operations, and I am very happy with my decision to purchase it. However, I do not expect any tool to be "universal". This may be a situation where my old glass plate and sandpaper may be more practical for me.

Thanks for the replies.

RONWEN

I also read Ron Hock's comment in his sharpening book and I wonder what exactly his suggestion to Tormek is?  My impression is that it has more to do with some sort of fixture attachment rather than the foot switch idea.  It might be worth asking Ron on his website blog.