News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Bevel angles on chisels

Started by giff, August 01, 2010, 12:03:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

giff

I have just purchased a T7 in the UK. My 1st attempt wasn't too good as I set the angle to 30 degrees on a chisel. In your video Jeff, you say that bevel chisels are 25 degrees. I think this one must have been sharpened badly previously. Should it be 25 degrees and can I just re-grind it to that. It's a fairly standard Stanley chisel with a yellow and black handle ( for reference). Thanks giff

Jeff Farris

25 degrees is a middle ground. If a chisel is going to be used for paring only, and never struck with a mallet, you can make the bevel as low as 20 degrees. If you're going to be chopping mortises or hardwood dovetails, 30 degrees holds up well. 25 -- smack in the middle -- balances the two uses.

Yes, you can take a chisel that has been ground poorly and establish any angle you want on it.
Jeff Farris

giff

Thanks for the reply Jeff. Can you re-grind on the Tormek or do you need the bench grinder kit?

Thanks giff

Jeff Farris

Cutting a new bevel angle on a bench chisel can be done on the Tormek. The bench grinder set up is for woodturning tools, which often need major changes in profile.
Jeff Farris