News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

What's a kenjig?

Started by refugio, January 03, 2016, 06:46:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

refugio

I've been away for a while and popped back in, and I see that everyone is using the "kenjig", which is apparently a "simple wooden jig". Interesting. The closest I could get was in this thread http://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=2639.0 for "a new angle setting tool".

So I did a search - not one thread with "kenjig" in the subject line! So now that there is such a thread, can someone reply with the design / photos / link to making and using this mythical jig?  :)

Ken S

Thanks for the question. There are instructions and photos posted on the forum. I will search for them, however, the search may take some time. Some  members are more proficient with searching than I am. Help would be appreciated.

Ken

Jan

Kenjig is a simple but clever and useful jig/concept invented by Ken.  :)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bye-818SN85DdzB3bU9aUU81eTg/view

You're correct, kenjig is a simple wooden block, which is used to set the edge angle for a knife in the Tormek knife jig. Ken suggested to use the projection length 139 mm, which for a 250 mm grindstone and 80 mm distance between the stone face and the universal support results in an edge angle 15 degrees.

I have modified the Ken's concept and suggested a double ended kenjig which enables to set the position of the universal support for both, the grindstone and the honing wheel. http://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=2654.0

I use the double ended kenjig regularly, and can confirm that setting the edge angle is much quicker and easier than with the Anglemaster.  The only disadvantage is, that kenjig dimensions depend on the stone diameter.

Excel spreadsheet entitled "KENJIG_wheel_support_distance_1" enables to calculate the wheel-support distance for given wheel radius, projection length and bevel angle. https://www.dropbox.com/s/ypbtaxgycgoyls0/KENJIG_wheel_support_distance_1.xlsb?dl=1

Jan

refugio

Wonderful! And I can see that a janjig is a double kenjig!  :)

This is easy-peasy for me to make - thank you for the details!

Ken S

Thanks, Jan.

The kenjig is designed to simplify set up. The wooden device itself is quite simple and easily made, however, it is based on solid math. Please post our thoughts after you use it for a while. (Questions are welcome, too.)

Ken

Jan

Refugio, you are welcome!  :)

Jan

ericclement17

Quote from: Jan on January 03, 2016, 09:14:45 PM
Kenjig is a simple but clever and useful jig/concept invented by Ken.  :)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bye-818SN85DdzB3bU9aUU81eTg/view

You're correct, kenjig is a simple wooden block, which is used to set the edge angle for a knife in the Tormek knife jig. Ken suggested to use the projection length 139 mm, which for a 250 mm grindstone and 80 mm distance between the stone face and the universal support results in an edge angle 15 degrees.

I have modified the Ken's concept and suggested a double ended kenjig which enables to set the position of the universal support for both, the grindstone and the honing wheel. http://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=2654.0

I use the double ended kenjig regularly, and can confirm that setting the edge angle is much quicker and easier than with the Anglemaster.  The only disadvantage is, that kenjig dimensions depend on the stone diameter.

Excel spreadsheet entitled "KENJIG_wheel_support_distance_1" enables to calculate the wheel-support distance for given wheel radius, projection length and bevel angle. https://www.dropbox.com/s/ypbtaxgycgoyls0/KENJIG_wheel_support_distance_1.xlsb?dl=1

Jan

Hello, I opened the link for the instructions on the Kenjig, but it only shows jigs for the T4 and T7, are the T7 and T8 the same, thinking about getting a T8.

cbwx34

Quote from: ericclement17 on November 22, 2017, 03:32:25 PM
Hello, I opened the link for the instructions on the Kenjig, but it only shows jigs for the T4 and T7, are the T7 and T8 the same, thinking about getting a T8.

Welcome to the forum.

Yes, the Kenjig will work for the T-8 as well... (same as the T-7).

Edit to add:  If you're looking at options for setting the angle, also take a look at forum member wootz's option...

Computer Software for Setting the Angle

One more option from forum member RichColvin (took me a few to find the link)...

USB Distance Calculator
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Jan

Eric, CBwx is correct, Kenjig concept and my Excel script work for all models of Tormek grinders.  :)

Provided you use the Tormek knife jig and universal support bar (12 mm) it is applicable also for bench grinders!  ;)

Jan

Ken S

Eric, you ask a very good question. I have never actually seen the answer in print. There are essentially two groups of Tormek models, those with 200mm diameter grinding wheels and those with 250mm diameter grinding wheels. Except for the grinding wheels and universal supports, all jigs and accessories are completely interchangeable.

The Kenjig uses the tables Dutchman posted on the forum several years ago. Fortunately, Dutchman is not as wordy as I am, so a search of his posts will quickly locate his tables. I recommend downloading and printing them.

The little steel plate in the photo is what I call a substitute target. I find it an easier to use auxialliary method than just the Anglemaster. Both methods can be used. Use your judgement; the practical one for the situation wins. For those who want more precision, Wootz' Knifegrinders computer program is excellent.

I designed the kenjig with maximum simplicity in mind. It can be made for any angle and wheel diameter. Fifteen or twenty degrees will probably completely satisfy most users. I like Jan's double ended design. It is a definite improvement, but requires slightly more presence of mind. In the interest of simplicity, I might lean toward to two clearly labelled kenjigs.

Do post your thoughts.

Ken

cbwx34

I'll add... if you have some time, read thru the "math" and diagrams that Jan, wootz, Dutchman, and others have posted.  I don't understand it all...  :-[  but everytime I read it... I get a little more benefit from it.  Lots of good info.
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Ken S

CB,

You gave me a good laugh! I agree that serious study of the math and diagrams is worthwhile. Like, my high school math from forty nine years ago doesn't always give me full understanding. I did take the time to understand Dutchman's tables; it was time well spent, and gives me insight into the other forum math and diagrams.

This math has helped push back the frontiers of Tormek knowledge.

Ken

ericclement17

Quote from: Ken S on November 22, 2017, 05:31:25 PM
Eric, you ask a very good question. I have never actually seen the answer in print. There are essentially two groups of Tormek models, those with 200mm diameter grinding wheels and those with 250mm diameter grinding wheels. Except for the grinding wheels and universal supports, all jigs and accessories are completely interchangeable.

The Kenjig uses the tables Dutchman posted on the forum several years ago. Fortunately, Dutchman is not as wordy as I am, so a search of his posts will quickly locate his tables. I recommend downloading and printing them.

The little steel plate in the photo is what I call a substitute target. I find it an easier to use auxialliary method than just the Anglemaster. Both methods can be used. Use your judgement; the practical one for the situation wins. For those who want more precision, Wootz' Knifegrinders computer program is excellent.

I designed the kenjig with maximum simplicity in mind. It can be made for any angle and wheel diameter. Fifteen or twenty degrees will probably completely satisfy most users. I like Jan's double ended design. It is a definite improvement, but requires slightly more presence of mind. In the interest of dimplicity, I might lean toward to two clearly labelled kenjigs.

Do post your thoughts.

Ken

Well I am the definition of a newbie, but I will check everything out.  I found the original Kenjig instructions, but as I said, it was for the T7.  I am more of a hands on guy; with that being said, I am brushing up on my trigonometry to understand angles and such.  I am new to this.  As I have said I am starting my own knife sharpening company, an LLC. Should be up and running in 3-4 months, and no I will not solicit my company on here, it is more of a local small business company, luckily I live in Westchester NY, where there is a restaurant and deli on every corner.  However, I am into woodworking, so I want to expand my company as far as I can.  So me being here is simply for information, not solicitation.  I also will be using other sharpening tools for a more commercial use.  But I got my hands on a T8 from a friend and fell in love, so now I have to have one.  I am firm believer in buy once, buy right.  So I will use the Tormek on a daily basis.  Also because I am good with wood, and want to expand my sharpening business to helping local woodworkers.

Thank you for the information.  Much appreciated.

Eric Clement

Ken S

Eric,
The best advice I could give anyone starting a sharpening business is Steve Bottorff's Sharpening School DVD. When Steve was approaching retirement, he had a DVD made to serve as a substitute for the individual training he had done for years. I have watched Steve's DVD countless times. I also spent a day with him at his home and shop. Steve ran a sharpening business including farmers markets and foody locations for many years. He is not only a sharpening expert, he is also a very experienced, dedicated teacher. His technique is Tormek based, but not limited to Tormek. He has a highly developed sense of what works in the field. He has trained three hundred students and equipped them to begin their own sharpening businesses.

Check out his website (sharpeningmadeeasy.com).

Don't be shy about asking questions on the forum.

Best of luck.

Ken

psI know two very capable professional who do not sharpen their own tools. I think there is potential in the woodworking tool sharpening business.

Good luck with your business.

Dutchman

Regarding the 'basics': see https://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=1849.0
You could give the 'inventor' the honor for his first work on this approach  ;)