News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Mobile Tormek!

Started by Rafael, July 14, 2015, 05:47:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rafael

Hi again,

I am planing to buy a new Tormek T7 because I am about to start a mobile sharpening unit. My question is about power. What is in your opinion the best solution? I think a gas power generator would be good but I don't know yet how big this should be, or what technical characteristics it has to have.

Jan

Raphael,

The input power of the T7 motor is only 200 W at 230 V and 50 Hz. There are no special requirements for stability of voltage or frequency.

Any kind of small, quiet and portable petrol=gas generator (230 V) will be suitable for your mobile sharpening unit.  :)

Jan

Ken S

At the risk of sounding like the chief cheerleader for the T4, the T4 only uses 120 watts It also weighs 7.4 kg instead of 14.5kg and is more compact. The accessories are the same.

I will defer to Jan's expertise on generators.

Ken

Herman Trivilino

I seem to recall someone trying to do this on battery power with an inverter. It didn't work well so I think a generator is what's needed.
Origin: Big Bang

Rafael

Thanks guys. I was thinking about inverter but the car engine has to run as long as I use Tormek and this way it cost more.

Jan

Fully charged car battery 12 V, 50 Ah should be able to supply energy, through an inverter, for T4 (120 W) for some 4 hours. Theoretically.

The inverter has to be designed for el. motors, with sufficient surge power capability (at least 3 x 120 W).

Jan

Ken S

Jan,

What an interesting idea. If I was doing mobile work, being able to use an inverter instead of carrying a gas generator would seem wonderful. The combination of an investor with a T4 and an extension cord would seem just the ticket.

Bigger is not necessarily better, especially when the smaller unit works with the inverter.

Ken