News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Wheel Stops

Started by kwadams, April 08, 2006, 05:51:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kwadams

Hi Jeff--

I bought my Tormek from you recently and finally started it up today.  When I press on the wheel, it slows and even stops.  I tried the stone grader and that stops it quite easily.  I bought your maintenance kit and had applied a small amount of belt dressing to the drive wheel so I think I've done everything correct before starting.  BTW, I don't know anything about belt dressing, but the stuff supplied is very thin (like black water) rather than the thicker, lighter colored stuff shown on your starter video.  Did I maybe use too much or not enough, or is there something else going on?  I noticed the drive wheel has a fair amount of wobble to it so it isn't contacting the motor "arbor" in a consistent manner.  

Please help me figure out what's going on so I can do some serious sharpening this weekend.  Thanks!

Kevin

epw314

Hi
    Wipe off the belt dressing first. Now sand the the drive wheel with very fine sand paper ever so lightly.Shake up the belt dressing and put a small amount on the drive wheel.Don't confuse it with the mineral spirits.
Ed
Ed Weigman

Anything Sharp
172 Mountain Lake Estates
Hawley,Pa 18428
570 685 9755

pjenkins

I am having the same problem also.

Jeff Farris

Ed was close.

Use coarse sandpaper, and don't worry about "ever so lightly" --- get after it.  Rough up the surface of the wheel and it will grip better. The new belt dressing takes a while to fully saturate and condition the wheel.  The old stuff (in the DVD) made the wheel tacky almost instantly.  Sadly, the manufacturer has retired.  The new stuff works, but needs a period of about half an hour to change from "slick" to "tacky".  Sanding the wheel with 80 grit speeds the process.

Jeff Farris