News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

sharpening japanese knives

Started by photosmart, March 17, 2006, 10:25:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

photosmart

shun japanese kitchen knives come with an insert that reads you should not sharpen them on any motorized sharpening system. They are single bevel at 16 degrees. It also reads that they should be taken to a professional who specializes in japanese knives. My question is can they be sharpened to their original sharpness with the tormek system or is there something special i am missing with japanese knives? Also if they can be sharpened with this system are there any different steps involved?

epw314

I believe what they are worried about is over heating the steel.But since the Tormek is a water stone,(creating no heat)I believe you should not have any problems.Use 1000 grit and go slow and easy.
Ed
Ed Weigman

Anything Sharp
172 Mountain Lake Estates
Hawley,Pa 18428
570 685 9755

Jeff Farris

Match the original bevel angle, keep the stone polished very smooth (spend some extra time with your grader for these), and use the leather honing wheel firmly and thoroughly.  It will put a razor edge on this style of knife.  As Ed mentioned, the admonition against motorized grinders is for high speed dry grinders.
Jeff Farris