News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Thinking of starting a sharpening business...

Started by anzafrank, October 20, 2005, 11:12:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anzafrank

and was wondering if the Tormek is fast enough to use for sharpening
Knifes for Restaurants etc., and does it do serrated Knifes? Have see
a few larger rigs with more wheels etc., and was wondering if they are
that much faster. I would be doing a mobil service. Don't even know if
there is a market for it. Any help would be greatly appreaciated. Didn't
even know there was a Forum like this! Thanks,
Frank F.

epw314

Hello,
I don't know where you are located but here is my 2 cents worth.You didn't say if you where going full time or part time. Here in Hawley,PA things are at a stand still.People are saying I'll see you next week etc.I know it's not my work quality,because if it was I know they would tell me.In my opinion the tormek is fast enough for me.I can do a knife in about 5 minutes if it's not beat up.If your going mobile I think your next question will be about inverters! there are posts here and on the other Tormek group. The inverter I have is Vector 700/1400 with volt and amp meter. I have had it for 1 month and I have no problems.I run a work light and the Tormek,and can run it straight for 2 hrs. without the truck running.Everyone says this is to small but for me, it seems OK.I got it on ebay with shipping it was $46.00.The key I think is wire hookup.I used #6 wire from the battery directly to the inverter.The wire I got was a pair of jumper cables for $8.00.Use good connecters.Put an inline 150 amp fuse at the battery Positive terminal. Good luck and don't get discourged.
Ed

Anything Sharp

Ed Weigman
172 Mountain Lake Estates
Hawley PA 18428
570-685-9755

Ed Weigman

Anything Sharp
Hawley,Pa 18428
570 685 9755

anzafrank

Hi Ed W,
Thanks for the reply. I live in So. Calif. in the high Mountain Desert
between San Deigo and L.A. Haven't even beaten the bush to test
the waters. I'm a Painting Contractor, but certain Folks from other
Countries are doing work (bad work) for 50 to 70% lower. Can't
pay out overhead and compete. I pay my help more than they bid
the jobs for. Needless to say, I have to switch gears and find
something else that I can do for a living. It's tough to do after 30
years. Never thought I'd see the day when my livelihood would be
taken away, but I think that is the way things are going in the US
with open Borders. Thanks again Ed,
Frank F.

epw314

I just didn't want you to think you were alone.Az is the same way.Great to have "Right to work states".You go to work thinking your making $10.00 an hour, and low and behold, some guy has got your job for $4.00!Lived in Az for 10 years beating my head against the wall. That's why I'm back on the east coast.Hell just go of it, nothing like working for yourself.Any screw-ups and you know it's your fault. Take the good with the bad.
Ed

Anything Sharp

Ed Weigman
Hawley PA 18428
570-685-9755
Ed Weigman

Anything Sharp
Hawley,Pa 18428
570 685 9755