News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

BGM-100

Started by Mugs, July 31, 2013, 06:21:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugs

The directions for mounting the BGM-100 are confusing (at least to a neophyte). Page 7 of the little booklet that comes with it has a little chart on the lower right of the page indicating dimensions. It indicates grinder size, then divides into 3 columns- a,b, and c. But on the diagram itself there is no "a". Does "a" indicate the total required height of the block?? What specifically "b" and "c" refer to is a little vague as well. Not all of us are acquainted with drafting, even basic drafting.

Tormek needs to make a step by step video showing installation. Further, their one video on Youtube demonstrating the USE of the BGM-100 shows a metal bracket for mounting the universal support system, not a wooden block. There are pictures of this metal bracket on the website of retailers selling the product. One is, therefore, naturally a little surprised when the box arrives without a metal bracket. The promotional video is misleading, as are the pictures on some retailers websites. This problem should be rectified.

Any simple advice on mounting the BGM-100 would be appreciated. I stress " simple".

Thanks

Rob

Here is the diagram in the booklet you describe.

The diagram clearly shoes that "a" is the width of the piece of mounting wood you would need if you opted to mount both your grinder and the BGM on a separate base (as opposed to directly to your bench)  There are two choices of width....8 or 10" and these are dependent on the wheel diameter of your grinder.  The bigger the grinder, the wider the mounting board is what Tormek are suggesting.

Here's the diagram showing "b" and the little table

So here it can be seen that "b" refers to the distance you mount the rear edge of the metal mounting clip from an imaginary line drawn from the centre of the wheel on your grinder.  It's either 10, 35 or 60mm.....again depending on the size of your grinder. 
Best.    Rob.

Rob

your kit should have two C shaped metal brackets with pre drilled bolt holes.  Those two brackets are joined and adjusted (by you) when you install it. Together they make the metal bracket (its in fact a height platform for the support bar) you describe as missing.  Are you certain you're not confusing the fact you have two C shaped pieces of metal with the kit?  The wood referred to in the booklet diagram is only needed in the event that even when fully adjusted for max height, the platform is still too low.

If you have no bits of metal with the kit then you need to call whoever your dealer is and get them to send the parts as it is missing those pieces. Those brackets slide over each other by a variable amount which you determine in order to adjust the height.  The height is governed by being in a position where you will be able to get all your different tools setup for grinding.  The best thing to use is the tts-100 turning tool setter as a guide to calibrate the correct height.

As an adjunct - I have a 6" grinder and the wheel has a safety guard which I had to remove in order to get sufficient access to the wheel with the tts-100.  This is just a foible of my particular grinder and probably wont affect you.  Thought it worth mentioning in case you trip over that one.

I have one myself and it was fiddly to install...but really...not that bad.  In use...its excellent.
Best.    Rob.

Rob

Ive just taken some snaps of mine to give you an idea of a real life setup.  I bolted mine directly to a purpose built table I made for all my sharpening things (including the Tormek).  So didn't use the separate wooden tray idea.

Best.    Rob.

Rob

Here's how mine was packed when the kit turned up.  There's no way you can miss the metal brackets.

Best.    Rob.

Mugs

Thanks very much Bob!

The brackets were pictured on the Big Bear Tools website, but I did not receive them in my kit. When I inquired I was told they were not included, and that the idea was to just use a piece of wood. I have since emailed them with your picture attached. Thanks again.

Rob

wow....what a cheek.  I would e mail Tormek direct in Sweden straight away.  That's outrageous on the part of the dealer.  They clearly have no idea what they're talking about or worse they're deliberately cheating people??

Very odd, the experience of the folks on this forum is that Tormek and its dealer community are generally a very professional bunch of people.

It's just possible that they are referring to really old stock as I have a suspicion there was a time when the kit didn't have a metal bracket so maybe a genuine mistake.
Best.    Rob.

Jeff Farris

I will admit I haven't read the whole thread, but at a quick glance it looks like there's some confusion between the older version of the BGM-100 (height adjusted by building a block) and the new version of the BGM-100 (adjustable block included).

If you received an older unit, the directions for assembly are included, and shouldn't be confused with the newer version, which is what you would find online.
Jeff Farris

Mugs

Thank you.

I did order online. And the picture on the website pictured the metal brackets. So naturally I was disappointed when I did not receive them. I'm waiting to hear from Big Bear Tools so as to resolve the issue. I don't imagine it will be a problem. I just want the product pictured. That's what I ordered, online.

Ken S

Mugs, I don't think most people realize the number and extent of the improvements to the Tormek.  I bought an earlier version of what would become the BGM-100.  It had the two slots, but only one tightening screw.  The double locking screws are a real improvement.  The adjustable metal bracket seems another improvement over making a wooden block.  The block would certainly work, but the new metal bracket is quick and easy.

I believe the Universal Support Bar has undergone several improvements over the years.

The EZYlock shaft is certainly an improvement over the older, especially the non stainless steel shafts.

With Ionut's help, I purchased one of the older plane and chisel jigs through Big Bear.  (It can handle a large Ashley Iles mortising chisel, which the newer SE-76 can't.  The newer jig is generally a real improvement.)  I was pleased with the service. 

Keep us posted.

Ken

Rob

it sounds to me like the company concerned are shipping older stock as their priority to clear their historical inventory.  Marketing on the other hand are several steps in front promoting whatever's the latest.

Given you ordered based on an advertised product......I'll eat my hat if they don't send you the brackets :-)

The sensible way to handle this would be to charge a discounted price for the older stock and promote the value with clear indication that the goods are without the bracket.

Anyway, keep us posted when it turns up if you need any more help.
Best.    Rob.

Ken S

Mugs,

Hopefully Big Bear will give you first class service.  Please do a follow up post if they do, or if they do not.  Good service needs to be recognized, as does less than good.

Good luck.

Ken

Herman Trivilino

In today's market, most companies don't have the employees or the time to take such measures, Rob.  If they do, they find themselves unable to compete with those who don't.  I know there are exceptions to this statement, but unfortunately there are far too few of them.
Origin: Big Bang

Mugs

Hi Folks

Dave at Big Bear has been very good. He has arranged for the new brackets to be sent directly from Tormek. Likely just confusion about old stock. Thanks for the help.

Rob

Best.    Rob.